The next election for the Cherokee ISD Board of Trustees will be November 8, 2022. Early voting will take place in the district administrative offices, 305 S Indian Ave, Cherokee, Texas 76832. Regular voting will take place at the Cherokee Church of Christ, 308 S Indian Ave, Cherokee, Texas 76832.
Elected Board of Trustees and Place Year Term Expires
Place 1 - Jerry Randolph 2022
Place 2 - Anne Brownlee 2022
Place 3 - Valerie Valdez 2022
Applications to file for a place on the ballot will be available during regular business hours in the Cherokee ISD Administration Building, 305 S Indian Ave, Cherokee, Texas 76832.
Summer Months: 8:00 - 3:30, Monday - Thursday (July 18 - July 29)
During School: 8:00 - 4:00, Monday - Thursday (August 1 - August 18)
The first day to file for an open position is Saturday, July 16, 2022.
The last day to file for an open position is Monday, August 15, 2022, 5:00 pm.
The last day to file for a write-in candidacy is Friday, August 19, 2022, 5:00 pm.
The last day to register to vote: Monday, October 11, 2022
First day of Early voting by Personal Appearance: Monday, October 24 2022
Last day of Early voting by Personal Appearance: Friday, November 4, 2022
Last day to Apply for Ballot by Mail (Received, NOT postmarked): Friday, October 28, 2022.
Last day to Receive Ballot by Mail (see note below): Tuesday, November 8, 2022, 7:00 pm.
Voting information may be found by clicking on this link: Texas Secretary of State
Note: If the carrier envelope is NOT postmarked, OR Wednesday, November 9, 2022 (the next business day after Election Day) at 5:00 pm. if the carrier envelope IS postmarked by 7:00 pm at the location of the election on Election Day.
According to the Texas Election Code, an individual is eligible to be a candidate for, or elected or appointed to, a Texas school board if the individual:
1. is a United States citizen;
2. is 18 years of age or older on the first day of the term to be filled at the election or on the date of appointment, as applicable;
3. has not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
4. has not been finally convicted of a felony from which the individual has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities1 (but see below regarding eligibility to serve);
5. has resided continuously in the state for 12 months and in the territory from which the office is elected for six months immediately preceding the following date:
a. for an independent candidate, the date of the regular filing deadline for a candidate’s application for a place on the ballot;
b. for a write-in candidate, the date of the election at which the candidate’s name is written in; or
c. for an appointee to an office, the date the appointment is made;
6. is registered to vote in the territory from which the office is elected on the date described at 5. above; and
7. satisfies any other eligibility requirements prescribed by law for the office.
Tex. Elec. Code § 141.001.
The Texas Education Code adds eligibility requirements for a person to serve on a school board. A person is ineligible to serve on a school board if the person has been convicted of a felony or solicitation of prostitution under Texas Penal Code section 43.021. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.066. Thus, a person who has been convicted of a felony may not serve on a school board regardless of whether the person has been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
Additionally, to be elected to a school board, an individual must be a qualified voter: 18 years of age or older, a United States citizen, a Texas resident, a registered voter, not determined to be totally or partially mentally incapacitated by an appropriate court, and not finally convicted of a felony. Tex. Educ. Code § 11.061; Tex. Elec. Code § 11.002.
Running for School Board FAQ